Remember that triggers are NORMAL.
It is about learning to recognise your personal triggers and work with them. This list is a great starting place for you to think about your triggers.
If you feel to, try this exercise. If you feel you might be experiencing PTSD like symptoms, it might best to do this with a trained therapist who can hold space for you.
- Write down all the triggers you experience
- What has worked in the past when faced with that trigger? Write everything you can remember and add to it over time.
- Trigger Plan – What I will do if faced with that trigger.
- What MIGHT work that I have not tried?
- Remember to try it next time and see how you go; it might be something to add to your list.
- Relaxation practices
- Call a friend who can listen
- Do a joy-filled hobby for 45 minutes
Remember to always be gentle with yourself especially when triggered.